Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Relationship Anarchy and Categorization

I found this Web page:

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/andie-nordgren-the-short-instructional-manifesto-for-relationship-anarchy

It's not the first description I've found of relationship anarchy, just the most recent. Relationship anarchy is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around, but at the same time it seems like it could be super good for me, a little like learning to drive standard without learning to drive automatic first. Once you can do it, you can drive anything.

As I understand it, relationship anarchists don't categorize people. They don't have "girlfriends," "partners," "friends," etc. Every relationship is unique and therefore defies labeling. I love this part of it: since every relationship is unique, the participants need to discuss the relationship and talk about their feelings. Yes. This is part of what I love about poly in general. When I was monogamous, there was a lot of assuming, and although any two people can misunderstand what the other is about on occasion, in my current relationships we try and minimize assumptions. But with regular poly, a person might say, "Yes, you are my partner, and here is what that word means to me. Let's discuss it." With RA, a person might say, "I have XYZ feelings for you. Let's discuss it."

I can sometimes find a lack of labels to be anxiety producing. If I don't have a word to hang on someone, I don't know where I stand with him, and have a hard time knowing how he feels about me. Even if someone says, "I love you," if there's not a word like "partner" accompanying it, I can get anxious. Calling something a name feels like a guarantee of permanence, even though there is no such thing and there's not really much point to pretending there is.

Striving for a more RA outlook is good for me. I think I'm letting myself miss experiences by categorizing people or insisting that they be categorized. For example, I don't fuck my friends, because I've done that in the past and it hasn't gone well. But if I don't think of friendships as separate from other kinds of relationships, the stress that accompanies a bout of friend-fucking doesn't have to exist.


2 comments:

  1. OMG, It is really and inspiring article. You just robed my heart dear. Thanks for sharing such masterpiece art of writing. There is also Happy Halloween Images which is reluctance with this article. Hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete