Friday, October 25, 2013

Psychiatry

Yesterday I visited a new psychiatrist. This one thinks I don't have social anxiety and diagnosed me with anxiety, unqualified. I used to argue with the old one about whether I really had social anxiety, so it was nice to hear that this guy agreed with my perception.

Certainly I don't have most of the more traditional elements of social anxiety. I'm not afraid to go to parties; I don't have trouble peeing in public restrooms; I'm comfortable getting up in front of people and performing. Social anxiety isn't a crazy diagnosis, but I didn't think it was a strong fit either.

Based on that conversation, I'd like to have more conversations with fellow sufferers, and in more detail, because I had always assumed that my symptoms were typical of anxiety and rather mild. Perhaps they are; I don't know. People don't talk much about mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment