Monday, November 4, 2013

Openness

When I think about poly, the word "open" comes up a lot. Relationships can be open. People can be open to various relationships.

Since everyone has their own idea of what open relationships are, this is what I mean by it: A relationship where the members are free to have sex with people who are not part of the relationship. This could mean that the partners can have casual sex with others, serious relationships including sex, friends with benefits, etc. People can be monogamous (or "monogamish") and still have open relationships, if they are having sex only and not relationships with the other folks. I think polyamory can be closed as well, for example a quad relationship where there are four people who have sex with each other but not with anyone else. 

Right now I'm thinking more about openness as in openness to ideas. I have a hard time with dating, not because I don't know what I want, but because I'm open to various different relationship configurations. I don't want to miss out on anything because I just wasn't open to it.

So here are a few relationship configurations I think I would enjoy:
  • A long-term casual sex friendship where we met up once a week or a couple times a month for fun sexy times, but didn't hang out much outside of that.
  • A long-term romantic relationship where we hung out once a week and did date stuff and had fun sexy times.
  • A long-term or even short-term relationship with a male-male couple where both men were bi and into me.  
  • A romantic relationship where we spent less time together than once a week but the times were very pleasant.
  • A relationship that was essentially a friendship but we also had sex and that didn't make it weird.
I suspect that it's not useful to consider these all separately, as they can definitely bleed one into another, but I'm feeling frustrated right now, both with the lack of relationship possibilities in my own life, and with my inability to follow up with the couple that I do have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment